Fill in the best answer
1. Data on an optical storage medium is stored as ______ and lands.
2. ___________ time is the average time that it takes a computer to locate data on a storage medium and read it.
3. A computer can move directly to any file on a(n) __________ access device, but must start at the beginning and read through all of the data on a(n) _____________ access device.
random, sequential ~ direct, sequential
4. Higher disk _________provides increased storage capacity.
5. “HD DS” means _______________.
6. EIDE, Ultra ATA, and SCSI refer to the type of _________ used by a hard disk drive.
7. CD-RW technology allows you to ______ data on a disk, then change that data.
Record ~ write
8. Movie files are much too large to fit on a DVD unless they are compressed, using a special type of data coding called _______.
MPEG ~ MPEG-2
9. The _______ bus carries data from RAM to peripheral devices.
10. AGP, PCI, and ISA are types of expansion _________, which are part of a personal computer’s motherboard.
11. Many peripheral devices come packaged with device ________software.
12. A scanner is a type of ______ device.
input ~ peripheral
13. Most people set their monitors to a(n) _________of 640 X 480, 800 X 600, or 1024 X 768.
14. The number of colors that a monitor can display is referred to as bit ________.
15. The advantages of an LCD monitor include display clarity, low radiation emission, portability, and ___________.
16. The most popular printers for personal computers are______, which are inexpensive and produce good quality color printouts.
17. Today’s PCs include a feature called Plug and ________ that automatically takes care of technical details for installing peripheral devices.
18. A ________key such as the [Ctrl] key is used in conjunction with other keys to expand the abilities of each key.
19. Track points and touchpads are alternative ________ devices often found on notebook computers.
20. A read-write ________ is a mechanism in the disk drive that reads and writes the magnetized particles that represent data.